Torre de' Passeri, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 172 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 39 km
- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65029
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, s.s. 5 Tiburtina; by motorway, A25 exit Torre de' Passeri.
The current name derives from "Turris Passum" as recorded in 1279, that is "a rest place" for travellers, along the river Pescara. From the 16th century onwards, there was a remarkable growth, which continued until the beginning of the 20th century, thanks to the flourishing activities related to the production of ceramics.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, with an imposing neoclassical facade and twin bell towers.
- The Mazzara Palace, at the top of the village, hosting inside the Pinacoteca Fortunato Bellozzi.
- The Castello Gizzi, better known as "Dante's House in Abruzzo", an important cultural institution in the region, established thanks to the passion and inspiration of Corrado Gizzi, a former professor at the Liceo Classico of Pescara.
- The Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- July: Festival of "arrosticini".