Then there was a succession of feudal Lords: Boemondo di Tarsia from Manoppello, the De Plesciaco family from Provence, the de Tortis, Caracciolo, d'Afflitto and Pinelli families. Terrible earthquakes in 1456 and 1706 seriously damaged the centre. The place is famous as the birthplace of painter Francesco Paolo Michetti, jurist Filomusi Guelfi, astronomer Annibale De Gasperis and poet Domenico Stromei.
Tocco da Casauria, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
The centre was known for centuries as simply Tocco, and the name "da Casauria" was added only after 1861. It rises on a hill between the Pescara river and the Arolle, a small stream, against the background of the Majella. Here Centerbe is produced, a highly alcoholic mixture of Maiella herbs which is said to have healthy effects on metabolism.
- Altitude: 338 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 44 km
- Population: ca. 2800 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65028
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- Frazioni: Francoli, Marano, Pareti, Rovetone.
- How to reach it: by road, s.s. 5 Tiburtina; by motorway, A25 uscita Torre de' Passeri.
Follow us on Facebook
In nearby Vasto an inscription of the II century B.C. was found, along with other remains from the Roman empire, which prove there was a Roman settlement in this strategic position between the Gole di Popoli and the valley of the Pescara river. The castle rose in the early XI century, as shown by a record in the Chronicon Casauriensis: Gerardo di Rocco, lord of Popoli, had in location from the powerful Monastery of Casauria lands and farms in the area, and his descendants decided to come into full possession building there a castle.
What to see
- The Abbey of San Clemente a Casauria, one of the most ancient and powerful Benedictine monasteries in Abruzzo.
- The Franciscan Convento dell'Osservanza (1470), with fine wooden furniture and XVIII-century frescos.
- The Castle, property of the Scali Caracciolo family, descendants of the ancient Dukes of Castelluccio, originally built by Frederick II of Swabia in the early XIII century, destroyed by an earthquake in 1456, then rebuilt in the XV century. It is rectangular with four angular towers, and an inner courtyard in the middle of which is an ancient "cisterna" (rainwater container). There are a number of underground rooms, originally used as wine cellars, oil pressing plants, stables and the ancient prison, "where the sun never shines", called Lombardia. On the upper floors large salons, and a fine, self-contained chapel to the south.
- The church of San Domenico, XV century.
- The church of Madonna delle Grazie, near the cemetery.
- The Parish church of Sant'Eustachio.
- The Parco Nazionale della Majella.
Events and Festivities
- 19 September: Feast of Sant'Eustachio.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames recorded in Tocco da Casauria
- People researching in Tocco da Casauria
- Newspaper articles on Tocco da Casauria
- Francesco Filomusi Guelfi, Le città d'Abruzzo, Lanciano 1927
- Samuele Iovenitti, Tocco da Casauria attraverso i secoli, Sulmona 1960
- Felice Di Virgilio, Tocco da Casauria: Profilo storico, L'Aquila Japadre 1982.