LogoLogo

Spoltore, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo

This quite large center rises on a hill between the Pescara and Saline rivers with a wonderful view of the Pescara valley. The northern part of the centre rose around the ancient castle, whose ruins can still be seen, while the southern part was made of terraced houses, whose outer walls created a kind of fortified defence along the weaker side of the borough.

Other Sections on Abruzzo

Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Abruzzo

Info

  • Altitude: 220 m a.s.l
  • Distance from Pescara: 8 km
  • Population: ca. 17000 inhabitants
  • Postal code: 65010
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 085
  • Frazioni: Caprara d'Abruzzo, Castellana, Cavaticchi Inferiore, Cavatichi Superiore, Pescarina, Pescarina Superiore, Ripoli, Santa Lucia, Santa Teresa, Torretta, Villa Raspa, Villa Santa Maria.
  • How to reach it: by road, s.n. 16-bis from Pescara; by motorway: A14 exit Pescara Nord.

History

In nearby Cavaticchio archaeological excavations have produced traces of the prehistoric inhabitants in the area, while there have been many findings of the Italic and Roman periods. After the barbaric invasions a first mention of a medieval settlement dates back to the Cartulario della Chiesa teramana (1000-1007) where "Speltore" is quoted.

Throughout the Middle Ages Spoltore, situated along the itinerary connecting Ancona and Ascoli to Chieti and the Aterno harbor, was the basis for Greek and Venetian merchant and a meeting place for crusaders and pilgrims to the Holy Land. In the century it belonged to many feudal Lords: the Costanzos and de Riccardis in the XIV century, then it was donated to the city of Chieti, and in the century belonged by the Figliola family. In 1575 it was visited by Padre Serafino Razzi, and in the early XVII century Antonio and Giuseppe Toppi founded there the Accademia degli Insepolti, a cultural institute for the study of Greek and Latin literature.

What to see

  • The ruins of the castle, in the highest part of the centre is the monastery of St. Francesco.
  • The Parish Church of S. Panfilo, with a fine portal and stuccos by Alessandro Terzani, canvases by Giuseppangelo Ronzi and a XVI century statue of the Madonna col Bambino.
  • The church of Madonna della Porta, with a wooden statue of the Virgin of the X century
  • Outside the town, the XV-century Convent San Francesco d'Assisi, with a brick facade and a fresco cycle telling the life of the saint.
  • The church of San Francesco d'Assisi, attached to the convent, mostly Baroque in style.

Events and Festivities

  • Easter: "Lo Scuocchio", traditional game consisting in crushing one's adversary's hard-boiled egg
  • August: "Spoltore Ensemble", shows, ballets, music, exhibitions and many other features
  • 26 August: Feast of St. Teresa of Avila.

Where to stay

Genealogy and Links

Map