Serramonacesca, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Located at the foot of Monte Piano di Taricca, the centre is located near the river Alento, amid beautiful woodland and olive groves. Not far away, is one of the most important medieval churches of Abruzzo, San Liberatore a Majella, restored a few decades ago after being abandoned for a long time.
- Altitude: 280 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 33 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Alanno-Scafa.
Follow us on Facebook
In some medieval documents there are references to the settlements of Castel Menardo and Castrum Polegrae. The history of Serramonacesca is to be associated with that of the Benedictine monastery of St. Liberatore a Majella, already known in the 9th century, which was long feudal owner of the place.
What to see
- The Abbey of San Liberatore a Majella, with beautiful Romanesque portals and a majestic bell tower; inside are remains of a fine 13th floor in opus sectile (a technique used in the ancient and medieval Roman world, where materials were cut and inlaid into walls and floors to make motifs and drawings), as well as a beautifully restored 14th-century pulpit.
- The Hermitage of Sant'Onofrio
- The Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- 12 to 13 June: Feast of Sant'Onofrio and Sant'Antonio, with the traditional "distribution of loaves"
- Second week in July: Emigrant's Day
- Third week in September: Feast of Santo Liberatore, with auction of donations.