Picciano, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
Located on a hill on the right side of the Fino river, the village enjoys a wide panorama of the Gran Sasso, and can show fine examples of early 20th-century buildings.
Altitude: 170 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 24 km -- Population: ca. 1400 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65010 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: road: s.n. 151 da Pescara
The place is recorded in documents as early as 1051 with the names of Pecenum or Picianum, and its history is associated entirely with that of the Cistercian abbey of Santa Maria of Picciano, which owned it since 1063.
Points of Interest
- the church of Santa Maria del Soccorso, with fine Neo-classic facade in brickwork
- the remains of the Abbey of Santa Maria di Picciano
- the fine Museo delle Tradizioni ed Arti Contadine [see website]
Events & Festivities
- week after Easter: Feast of San Vincenzo
- End of July: Festival of "Pizzonta"
- 15-16 August: Feast of San Rocco
- late August: Festival of "tajarilli e fasciule"
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Ristorante Gabrielino, via Colline 40, 65010 Picciano (PE) - tel. (+39) 085 8207693