Picciano, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Located on a hill on the right side of the Fino river, the village enjoys a wide panorama of the Gran Sasso, and can show fine examples of early 20th-century buildings.
- Altitude: 170 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 24 km
- Population: ca. 1400 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, s.n. 151 da Pescara.
Follow us on Facebook
The place is recorded in documents as early as 1051 with the names of Pecenum or Picianum, and its history is associated entirely with that of the Cistercian abbey of Santa Maria of Picciano, which owned it since 1063.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria del Soccorso, with fine Neo-classic facade in brickwork
- The remains of the Abbey of Santa Maria di Picciano
- The fine Museo delle Tradizioni ed Arti Contadine [MUTAC].
Events and Festivities
- The week after Easter: Feast of San Vincenzo
- End of July: Festival of "Pizzonta"
- 15-16 August: Feast of San Rocco
- Late August: Festival of "tajarilli e fasciule".
Genealogy and Links
- The Municipio, v.Vittorio Emanuele, 65010 Picciano (PE) - tel. (+39) 085 8285132
- People researching in Picciano
- Newspaper articles on Picciano.
- The official website of the Museo delle Tradizioni ed Arti Contadine