Pianella, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 236 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 25 km
- Population: ca. 7000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65019
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: motorway A25 exit Chieti, then road: s.n. 81 from Chieti.
History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages
Later on it belonged to the Normans (under the County of Manoppello), and when Charles of Anjou in 1273 divided the region into Abruzzo Ultra and Abruzzo Citra flumen piscariae, Pianella became part of Abruzzo Ultra. In the 15th century it was Corrado Aquaviva and then Cristoforo Costanzo.
History - Modern Times
What to see
- The many palaces as the Palazzo De Felice, Palazzo Sabucchi and the interesting Palazzo della Posta
- The church of Sant'Antonio
- The church of San Domenico, with fine stucco decorations.
- The ancient church of Santa Maria Maggiore, also known as San Angelo, with 13th-century portal and rosewindow, and a fine pergamon of Mastro Acuto. The church already existed in Lombard times, when it was dedicated to San Michele Arcangelo, and the Franks buried some of their paladins there.
Events and Festivities
- Good Friday: Procession of Dead Christ
- Easter and Easter Monday: "Lu Bbongiorne", a re-enactement in costume, with medieval palio and banquet
- July: Feast of St. Silvestro.