Later on it belonged to the Normans (under the County of Manoppello), and when Charles of Anjou in 1273 divided the region into Abruzzo Ultra and Abruzzo Citra flumen piscariae, Pianella became part of Abruzzo Ultra. In the 15th century it was Corrado Aquaviva and then Cristoforo Costanzo. In 1458 Frederick of Aragon gave the town the status of universitas, ie, a partial independence from feudal rule. In 1583 it was bought by Margaret of Austria Farnese, in whose family it remained until the abolition of feudalism. The Cadastre of 1742 provides valuable information on the social fabric of the town at the time, full of wealthy families (De Felice, Di Casale, Sabucchi, De Santis, Verrotti, Ferrara, Egizi, Babore) and artisans of all kinds: coopers, saddlers, glass-makers, tailors, oil and wine makers.
Pianella, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
An old Vestini center set amid the hills between the Tavo and Pescara rivers, Pianella is currently a lively small town, with two frazioni (Cerratina and Castellana) and several quarters (Astignano, Colle Uomini Morti, Collecincero, Santa Scolastica, Santa Maria della Nora, La Grotta, San Desiderio e Villa Micone).
Altitude: 236 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 25 km -- Population: ca. 7000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65019 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: motorway A25 exit Chieti, then road: s.n. 81 from Chiet
Archeological findings suggest a human presence as early as the Neolithic period, with later objects belonging to different cultures: Sabellic, Greek, Roman and medieval, found in a number of necropolis in the vicinity. The presence of coins minted for the Crusades points to Pianella as a gathering center for pilgrims, monks and traders on their way to Brindisi. In the 9th century AD it was invaded and destroyed by the Saracens, so that the survivors took refuge on a hill and began to fortify it. In the 10th century the name Castrum Planellae appears for the first time.
Points of Interest
- the many palaces as the Palazzo De Felice, Palazzo Sabucchi and the interesting Palazzo della Posta
- the Church of Sant'Antonio
- the Church of San Domenico, con belle decorazioni in stucco
- the ancient church of Santa Maria Maggiore, also known as San Angelo, with 13th-century portal and rosewindow, and a fine pergamon of Mastro Acuto. The church already existed in Lombard times, when it was dedicated to San Michele Arcangelo, and the Franks buried some of their paladins there.
Events & Festivities
- Good Friday: Procession of Dead Christ
- Easter and Easter Monday: "Lu Bbongiorne", a re-enactement in costume, with medieval palio and banquet
- July: Feast of St. Silvestro
Genealogy, News & Links
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Hotel Casa Bianca
- Ristorante casa Bianca - 106 v. s.lucia 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 972172
- Ristorante La Mimosa - 28 v.S.Maria a lungo 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 971249
- Ristorante Pizzeria Eliseo - 57 v. tevere-cerratina 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 9771882
- Ristorante Pizzeria Il Vecchio Silos - 7 Ctr.Conoscopane - 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 973300
- Bar Trattoria - 1 v. dei fiori-cerratina - 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 71400
- Barrel House - Pub Pizzeria PianoBar - 42 v. regina margherita - 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 973216
- Pizzeria Trattoria «Da Enzo» - 17 v. m.ungheresi - 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 971872
- Trattoria Ristorante Il Ritrovo - 1 ctr.fornace - 65019 Pianella (PE) - Telephone: +39 085 973480