Pescosansonesco, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Included in the National Park of Gran Sasso-Laga, the village offers a bird's eye view of the whole valley of the Pescara river. The ancient borough of Pescosansonesco vecchio was abandoned after a number of landslides that followed ruinous earthquake in the years 1933-34.
- Altitude: 540 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 48 km
- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants
- Populationn Density: 31 inhabitants per km²
- Postal code: 65020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- GPS Coordinates: 42°15'0"N 13°53'0"E
- Frazioni (hamlets): Colle della Guardia, Decontra, Dogli
- How to reach it: motorway A25 exit Torre de' Passeri.
Follow us on Facebook
On the site there was an ancient settlement, called Pagus, of the Vestines, pre-roman inhabitants of the area, and at nearby Lake Morrone remains were found of a sanctuary of the 5th century BC. The present village rose in the 10th century AD, when it was one of the castles of the "Terra Sansonesca".
What to see
- The ruins of the mediaeval castle.
- The church of San Giovanni of the 15th century.
- The Romanesque small church of San Nicola of the 12th century.
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta (1190), with a remarkable crypt.
- The sanctuary of Blessed Nunzio Sulprizio.
- The Parco Nazionale Gran Sasso-Laga.
Events and Festivities
- 5 May: celebrations for Blessed Nunzio Sulprizio.
- 24 June: feast of St. John the Baptist.
- 15 August: feast of the Assuption.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames recorded in Pescosansonesco
- People researching in Pescosansonesco
- Newspaper articles on Pescosansonesco
- The story of Blessed Nunzio.