Pescosansonesco, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
Included in the National Park of Gran Sasso-Laga, the village offers a bird's eye view of the whole valley of the Pescara river. The ancient borough of Pescosansonesco vecchio was abandoned after a number of landslides that followed ruinous earthquake in the years 1933-34.
Altitude: 540 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 48 km -- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants -- Density: 31 inhabitants per km² -- Zip code: 65020 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- Coordinates: 42°15'0"N 13°53'0"E -- Frazioni (hamlets): Colle della Guardia, Decontra, Dogli -- How to reach it: motorway A25 exit Torre de' Passeri
On the site there was an ancient settlement, called Pagus, of the Vestines, pre-roman inhabitants of the area, and at nearby Lake Morrone remains were found of a sanctuary of the 5th century BC. The present village rose in the 10th century AD, when it was one of the castles of the "Terra Sansonesca".
Points of Interest
- the ruins of the mediaeval castle;
- the Church of San Giovanni of the 15th century;
- the Romanesque small church of San Nicola of the 12th century;
- the church of Santa Maria Assunta (1190), with a remarkable crypt;
- the Sanctuary of Blessed Nunzio Sulprizio;
- the Parco Nazionale Gran Sasso-Laga
Events & Festivities
- 5 May: celebrations for Blessed Nunzio Sulprizio
- 24 June: feast of St. John the Baptist
- 15 August: feast of the Assuption