Nocciano, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
The centre rises on a green hill, from where the Gran sasso, the Majella, the river Pescara valley and the Adriatic Sea can be seen all around.
- Altitude: 301 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 28 km
- Population: ca. 1800 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- Frazioni: Casali, Cerasa, Colle Maggio, Collina, Fonteschiavo, Prato San Lorenzo
- How to reach it: by road, S.N. 602 from Pescara; by motorway, A25 exit Chieti.
Follow us on Facebook
Human settlement of the neolithic, Italic and Roman times have been found in the area and in the Middle Ages an important borough had developed. In the 15th century it belonged to the Montorio Countdom but, after a rebellion of Pietro Lalle Camponeschi, count of Montorio, was given to the city of Chieti.
What to see
- The church of Sant'Antonio da Padova, with an interesting wooden choir by Modesto Salvini from Orsogna, and attached Palazzo Mapei.
- The church of San Lorenzo, built in the Romanesque style, with XIV century frescos.
- The fine palaces as the Aliprandi, Gasbarri and Fusilli.
- The medieval Castle.
- The typical countryside architecture of the so-called pagliare, peasant's houses with clay walls.
Events and Festivities
- August: "Porchetta" (slices cut from a roasted young pork) and "Sagna e Fagioli" (a soup based on beans roughly cut, hand-made pasta pieces) Festival
- October: Grapes Festival.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames recorded in Nocciano
- People researching in Nocciano
- Newspaper articles on Nocciano.
- The official website of the Comune of Nocciano.