Nocciano, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
The centre rises on a green hill, from where the Gran sasso, the Majella, the river Pescara valley and the Adriatic Sea can be seen all around.
Altitude: 301 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 28 km -- Population: ca. 1800 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65010 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: road: S.N. 602 from Pescara; motorway: A25 exit Chieti -- Frazioni: Casali, Cerasa, Colle Maggio, Collina, Fonteschiavo, Prato San Lorenzo
Human settlement of the neolithic, Italic and Roman times have been found in the area and in the Middle Ages an important borough had developed. In the 15th century it belonged to the Montorio Countdom but, after a rebellion of Pietro Lalle Camponeschi, count of Montorio, was given to the city of Chieti.
Points of Interest
- the Church of Sant'Antonio da Padova, with an interesting wooden choir by Modesto Salvini from Orsogna, and attached Palazzo Mapei
- the Church of San Lorenzo, built in the Romanesque style, with XIV century frescos
- fine palaces as the Aliprandi, Gasbarri and Fusilli
- the medieval Castle
- the typical countryside architecture of the so-called pagliare, peasant's houses with clay walls
Events & Festivities
- August: "Porchetta" (slices cut from a roasted young pork) and "Sagna e Fagioli" (a soup based on beans roughly cut, hand-made pasta pieces) Festival
- October: Grapes Festival