Moscufo, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
This centre, of ancient origins, lies on a beautiful hill hovering above the River Tavo Valley. The economy is mainly based on agriculture, though in recent decades there has been a remarkable development of the tertiary sector thanks to the vicinity of Pescara.
Altitude: 246 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 19 km -- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65010 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit Pescara Nord -- Frazioni: Bivio Casone, Casale, Moscufo Scalo, Pischiarano, Selvaiella, Senarica, Valle Pelillo, Villa Sibi
Human settlements on the site go back in time to Italic and Roman times. In the Middle Ages the centre belonged to the Piccolomini and Figliola families.
Points of Interest
- Church of St. Cristoforo, with beautiful wooden furniture
- Santa Maria del Lago, one of the early medieval churches so typical of Abruzzo, dating back to the XII century, with a fine portal and ambon, and fragments of frescos
- the Palazzo Ferri, with a fine 19th-century facade in bricks.
- the Palazzo Orsini, today the seat of the municipality
- remains of medieval walls and poligonal tower
- a mineral spring of sulphurous water at 40°C in Sterpara dei Santi
Events & Festivities
- 17 January: Feast of St. Antonio
- Easter Tuesday: Feast of Santa Maria del Lago
- 25 July: Feast of Patron saint Cristoforo