Montesilvano, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
This busy centre, situated immediately north of Pescara, to which is today physically united in a huge conurbation, is divided into Montesilvano Marina and Montesilvano Colle, the former a lively, crowded seaside resort, the latter the original medieval citadel.
Altitude: 5 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 8 km -- Population: ca. 47000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65015 - 65016 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: road: S.S.N. 16 Adriatica; motorway: A14 exit Pescara Nord -- Frazioni: Case di Pietro, Colonnetta, Fossonono, Mazzocco, Montesilvano Colle, Montesilvano Spiaggia, Santa Venere, Trave, Villa Canonico, Villa Carmine, Villa Verlengia, Villa Verrocchio -- Italian version
The village rose on a hill a couple of miles from the Adriatic Sea in the XI century, and two centuries later belonged to Chieti. Montesilvano Marina developed later as a fishing centre and, more recently, as a lively seaside resort in summer.
Points of Interest
- the borough of Montesilvano Colle, with its medieval remains
- the Church of S. Michele, built on the remains of an old castle
- the Church of Madonna della Neve, partly transformed in the 18th century, with fine 16th-century frescoes.
- the 18th century Palazzo Delfico
Events & Festivities
- 1 July: Feast of St. Antonio from Padua
- First week in August: Feast of Madonna della Neve