Montesilvano, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
This busy centre, situated immediately north of Pescara, to which is today physically united in a huge conurbation, is divided into Montesilvano Marina and Montesilvano Colle, the former a lively, crowded seaside resort, the latter the original medieval citadel.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 5 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 8 km
- Population: ca. 47000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65015 - 65016
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, S.S.N. 16 Adriatica; by motorway, A14 exit Pescara Nord
- Frazioni: Case di Pietro, Colonnetta, Fossonono, Mazzocco, Montesilvano Colle, Montesilvano Spiaggia, Santa Venere, Trave, Villa Canonico, Villa Carmine, Villa Verlengia, Villa Verrocchio.
The village rose on a hill a couple of miles from the Adriatic Sea in the XI century, and two centuries later belonged to Chieti. Montesilvano Marina developed later as a fishing centre and, more recently, as a lively seaside resort in summer.
What to see
- The borough of Montesilvano Colle, with its medieval remains.
- The church of San Michele, built on the remains of an old castle.
- The church of Madonna della Neve, partly transformed in the 18th century, with fine 16th-century frescoes.
- the 18th century Palazzo Delfico.
Events and Festivities
- 1 July: Feast of St. Antonio from Padua
- First week in August: Feast of Madonna della Neve.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- People researching in Montesilvano
- Newspaper articles on Montesilvano
- The official website of the comune di Montesilvano
- Italian version.