Farindola, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
This picturesque centre is situated on a rocky hill along the left bank of the Tavo river, in an area rich in natural springs, as fonte Falconetto, fonte Santa Maria, fonte della Nocella. It is renowned for the pecorino cheese that takes its name, a recognized DOP product typical of 9 communes of the eastern Gran Sasso (the others being Arsita, Bisenti, Carpineto della Nora, Castelli, Montebello di Bertona, Penne, Villa Celiera).
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 530 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 45 km
- Population: ca. 2100 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, from Penne (S.N. 81)
- Frazioni: Casebruciate, Cupoli, Macchie, Pagliaroli, Rigopiano, Ripe, Ronchetti, San Quirico, Santa Maria, Trosciano Inferiore, Trosciano Superiore, Vicenne.
As for other places beginning with the root "far-", the name of the village comes from the Lombard word for borough, but various paleolithic findings point to an earlier origin. In the 11th century two important Benedectine monasteries occupied the area. Later on the village came under the control of the city of Penne and the Farnese family. On 18 January 2017, a massive avalanche - the deadliest in Italy since 1916 - destroyed the 4-star Hotel Rigopiano, killing twenty-nine people.
What to see
- Medieval fortress (remains)
- The Palazzo Farnese with frescoed rooms.
- The church of San Nicola di Bari.
- The typical countryside architecture of isolated houses with stone stairway partially inside the walls.
- At Rigopiano, prehistoric remains of the lower paleolithic age
- The Gran Sasso-Laga National Park.
Events and Festivities
- 21 March: Spring festival
- 13-14 June: Feast of St. Antony and St. Vincenzo Ferreri
- 4 August: "Pecorino" festival (sheep cheese)
- 10-11 August: Mountain festival.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames recorded in Farindola
- Newspaper articles on Farindola
- Official Website of the Consorzio di Tutela del Pecorino di Farindola.