Collecorvino, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
The small center rises on a hilltop, in a a wonderful panoramic position.
Altitude: 253 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 20 km -- Population: ca. 4800 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65010 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: strada: s.n. 16 bis from Montesilvano, then SS 151 to Loreto Aprutino; autostrada: A14 exit Pescara Nord
Mentioned for the first time in 853 AD with the name res Corbini (= property of Corbin, from the name of its Lombard owner). Collecorvino was merged in 1071 with the county of Loreto, established in that year. In 1168 the castle of Collecorvino had over 500 inhabitants and was the stronghold of Giozzellino, Count of Loreto. Afterwards, there were a number of lords such as Matteo d'Atri, the d'Aquino and finally the d'Avalos.
Points of Interest
- the parish church of Sant'Andrea, finished at the end of the 19th century, with an elegant interior and beautiful facade.
- Near the village the Convent of San Patrignano (16th-17th century)
- the church of Santa Lucia, built in the seventeenth century
- the Bastioni (Ramparts), traces of the medieval fortifications
Events & Festivities
- 7 to 8 May: feast of St. Lucia
- First week in August: Feast of the "trescatura" in memory of the ancient threshing traditions