Civitella Casanova, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
On a hill near the confluence of the rivers Schiavone and Festina, the center is remembered above all for the beautiful Renaissance church of S. Maria della Cona, housed in the local cemetery.
Altitude: 400 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 42 km -- Population: ca. 2200 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65010 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: by road: s.n. 602 from Pescara or Chieti
Of Roman origin, as shown by artifacts found in the area, its name appears for the first time in documents of the 9th century AD. In some medieval writings also appears with the name "Civitella of the Abbey": the area was in fact owned by the abbots of the Monastery of Santa Maria of Casanova. Towards the end of the 16th century the Cantelmo, counts of Popoli, obtained the administration of the criminal justice for Civitella, while the abbots still retained civil jurisdiction.
Points of Interest
- the Church of Santa Maria della Cona, with beautiful Renaissance portal dated 1529, and an interesting fresco of the Virgin with Child of the Aquilan school (1515)
- the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (16th century)
- the Palazzo Pignatelli, with decorations by the painter Severino Galante
- the Abbazia Cistercense, rich of Cistercian elements in the decorative details and in the borders of what was possibly the ceremonial stairs; a nice example of French Burgundian architecture of a fortified monastery with tower and courtyard. Some Gothic details were covered by renovations performed in the 17th and 18th centuries.
- the Church of San Michele Arcangelo
- the sulfur springs of Colle Mancanello
- the sulfur springs at Festina, at 14 °C
Events & Festivities
- May-June: Religious Festivals for Pentecost