Civitaquana, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 550 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 25 km
- Population: ca. 1400 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Alanno-Scafa; by road, s.n. 602 from Pescara.
Archeological findings èpoint towards the existence in the area of an ancient Roman town, and there is a legend saying that this ancient town was called Altilia. In 883 it is mentioned in the Chronicon Casauriense as part of the diocesis of Pelle. In 1269 Civitaquana was granted as a feifdom by King Charles of Anjou to poet Sordello da Goito but he probably died immediately afterwards, since the king gave Civitaquana to Bonifacio di Galiberto. In 1458 king Ferrante d'Aragona granted the lordship to Laudadio De Lagmyniano, "Giustiziere" of Abruzzo, whose palace can still be seen in the main square. A Leognani descendant marriedthe sister of famous condottiere Ettore Fieramosca, and the surname of the wife was added to the family.
What to see
- Abbey of Santa Maria delle Grazie, built over a Roman construction, of whisc some parts were re-used, it is now in three aisles, in the Romanesque style, and with a typical Lombard architecture. The inside, lit by sparce windows, is very austere. There is still a fresco with San Martino.
- The Chapel devoted to San Rocco with a neoclasic façade.
- The Palazzo Leognani-Fieramosca, a very fine example of Renaissance architecture, in red bricks and with two elegant "logge" on both sides
- The Convento dei Carmelitani, outside Civitaquana
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta, XII cent.
Events and Festivities
- Mid January: Feast of St. Antony Abbot
- 31 august-2 September: Feast of Saint Egidio and Emidio.
Where to stay
- Ristorante Cesarone - 1 ctr. Sterpara - 65010 Civitaquana Tel: +39 085 848278.
Genealogy and Links
- To request certificates: Ufficio Anagrafe - Municipio - v.Porta a Monte 65010 Civitaquana (PE) tel: +39 085-848219/848540
- Parrocchia Santa Maria, Civitaquana (PE)
- Surnames recorded in Civitaquana
- People researching in Civitaquana.