Carpineto della Nora, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 535 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 45 km
- Population: ca. 750 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, S.N. 602 from Chieti or Capestrano.
Between 1070 and 1023 the bishops of Penne took over and the inhabitants were forced to pay an annual census for the repair of the cathedral of Penne. In 1168 Carpineto came under Riccardo of Brittoli, on behalf of the abbot of San Bartolomeo; at the time the inhabitants were 396.
In 1258 the Abbey of San Bartolomeo, which also owned Carpineto, was attached to the Abbey of Casanova and lost its autonomy. In the seventeenth century, Cardinal Federico Borromeo, who was appointed abbot of Casanova, also became the lord of Carpineto. In the early 1900's, the inhabitants were about 1400, but in the following decades a massive depopulation began.
What to see
- The church of San Bartolomeo (12th century), with a portal similar to that of San Pelino in Valva.
- The Gran Sasso-Laga National Park.
Events and Festivities
- End of August: Feast of gnocchi
- 25-27 August: Feast of Saints Bartolomeo, Carlo and Agata, with festival with local products.