Between 1070 and 1023 the bishops of Penne took over and the inhabitants were forced to pay an annual census for the repair of the cathedral of Penne. In 1168 Carpineto came under Riccardo of Brittoli, on behalf of the abbot of San Bartolomeo; at the time the inhabitants were 396.
In 1258 the Abbey of San Bartolomeo, which also owned Carpineto, was attached to the Abbey of Casanova and lost its autonomy. In the seventeenth century, Cardinal Federico Borromeo, who was appointed abbot of Casanova, also became the lord of Carpineto. In the early 1900's, the inhabitants were about 1400, but in the following decades a massive depopulation began.