Caramanico Terme, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 650 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 48 km
- Population: ca. 2200 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65023
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25, exit Alanno-Scafa.
The extraordinary therapeutic virtues of sulphureous waters of Caramanico have been known for centuries. The first testimony of their use was in 1576, when Father Serafino Razzi, a Dominican preacher visiting the area, describes in his travel diary the crowd of scabies sick going to the "aqua putreda" of the spring called "Zolfanaia". The waters gushing out from the springs called "La Salute" and "Gisella" have a high content of sulphured hydrogen at a temperature of 10,5 degrees Centigrade and are channeled into the spa plants for hydropinic therapy and other treatments. Also the low-mineral water of the spring "Pisciarello" has healthy diuretic effects, and recently a center for beauty care was established. The spa season goes from April to November.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria Maggiore (XV century), with a fine portal and a highrelief by Johann from Lubeck, originally almost a fortress, with high walls and a tower.
- The church of St. Tommaso, founded in the 12th century in honor of Thomas of Canterbury. with a wonderful portal with stone sculptures and 13th century frescoes; on Jubilee years the Holy Door of the church is opened by the archbishop of Chieti.
- The Historical Centre, with fine medieval houses
- The Eremo di San Giovanni, where Sant'Onofrio lived for seven years, in the 13th century AD.
- The Natural Reserve Valle dell'Orfento was opened in 1971 before the institution of the Majella National Park, of which it is today part. It is one of the wildest and most spectacular corners of the Apennine: a deep canyon created by the wild Orfento river, most times of the year covered with a thick vegetation, that rises from 500 mt to a breathtaking 2700 meters. The beauty of the landscape and the presence of rare species (wolves and eagles, gentian and peonies) make it a true naturalistic jewel. A well equipped network of paths of varied difficulty and length allows to cross the whole valley them and its many biotopes (river, forests, prairies, crests). All necessary hiking information can be obtained at the Visitors' Center "Paolo Barrasso" in Caramanico Terme, which also releases the authorization necessary to visit the Reserve.
Events and Festivities
- 17 January: feast of St. Antony
- 15 August: feast of the Assumption.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames recorded in Caramanico Terme
- People researching in Caramanico Terme
- Newspaper articles on Caramanico Terme
- Images of Caramanico Terme.