Bussi sul Tirino, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
Located to the left of the Tirino river, Bussi lies on the southern boundary of the Gran Sasso-Laga National Park. In the past, agriculture was the main activity in the village thanks to the abundance of water and fertile soil. At the beginning of the 20th century the industrialization of Val Pescara fostered the creation of many industries, which are still in the area.
Altitude: 344 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 55 km -- Population: ca. 3200 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65022 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: motorway: A25 uscita Bussi
The original settlement dates back to the age of castles, that is around 1000. The first mention of Bussi was in 1200, when it was among the areas controlled by the monastery of San Benedetto in Perillis. It was later a fief of the descendants of Berardo da Rajano, the Pignatelli, the Cantelmo, the Pietropaoli and the Medici families.
Points of Interest
- the medieval castle
- the remains of the Romanesque church of S. Maria di Cartignano, with three naves.
Events & Festivities
- Mid-June: Feast of St. Biagio and Sant'Antonio
- End of July: Feast of St.Anna and St.Pantaleone
- Summer: "BussinJazz", blues and jazz music concerts