Abbateggio, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Situated along the northern slopes of the Majella, along the road leading from Scafa to Caramanico Terme in a panoramic position with an all round view from the Gran Sasso mountain group to the Adriatic, is also included in the Majella National Park.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 450 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 40 km
- Population: ca. 400 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Alanno-Scafa.
The first documents about the village existence date back to the X century. In the course of centuries it belonged, among others, to the celebrated Orsini and Farnese families.
What to see
- The church of San Lorenzo.
- The Sanctuary of Madonna dell'Elcina, where, according to the tradition, the Virgin Mary appeared on a tree.
- The typical "tholoi" (singular "tholos"), shepherds' huts in dry stone
- the Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- 17 January: feast of St. Antony the Abbot.
- 10 August: feast of St. Lorenzo.
- 8 September: feast of Madonna dell'Elcina.