Abbateggio, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated along the northern slopes of the Majella, along the road leading from Scafa to Caramanico Terme in a panoramic position with an all round view from the Gran Sasso mountain group to the Adriatic, is also included in the Majella National Park.
Altitude: 450 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 40 km -- Population: ca. 400 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65020 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: motorway: A25 exit Alanno-Scafa
The first documents about the village existence date back to the X century. In the course of centuries it belonged, among others, to the celebrated Orsini and Farnese families.
Points of Interest
- Church of S. Lorenzo
- Sanctuary of Madonna dell'Elcina, where, according to the tradition, the Virgin Mary appeared on a tree
- The typical tholos, shepherds' huts in dry stone
- the Majella National Park
Events & Festivities
- 17 January feast of St. Antony
- 10 August feast of St. Lorenzo
- 8 September feast of Madonna dell'Elcina