Abbateggio, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Situated along the northern slopes of the Majella, along the road leading from Scafa to Caramanico Terme in a panoramic position with an all round view from the Gran Sasso mountain group to the Adriatic, is also included in the Majella National Park.
- Altitude: 450 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 40 km
- Population: ca. 400 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by motorway, A25 exit Alanno-Scafa.
Follow us on Facebook
The first documents about the village existence date back to the X century. In the course of centuries it belonged, among others, to the celebrated Orsini and Farnese families.
What to see
- The church of San Lorenzo.
- The Sanctuary of Madonna dell'Elcina, where, according to the tradition, the Virgin Mary appeared on a tree.
- The typical "tholoi" (singular "tholos"), shepherds' huts in dry stone
- the Majella National Park.
Events and Festivities
- 17 January: feast of St. Antony the Abbot.
- 10 August: feast of St. Lorenzo.
- 8 September: feast of Madonna dell'Elcina.