Villavallelonga, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
Villavallelonga lies within the boundaries of the National Park of Abruzzi, amonw green woods and pastures. The economy, originally based on the presence of forests (hunting, fruit-trees) and sheep-raising - the Tratturo Magno passes nearby - has now shifted towards winter and summer tourism.
Altitude: 1007 m a.s.l -- Distance from L'Aquila: 57 km -- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67050 -- Phone Area Code: 0863 -- How to reach it: road: from Avezzano Autoroute A25, exit Avezzano, then about 20 km south-east through Luco dei Marsi, Trasacco and Collelongo
A number of archaeological findings show that the area was inhabited in Italic times, but the present center surely rose in the XI century as a fortified borough and was in the earlier Middle Ages first under Count Ruggero d'Albe and later of the Count of Celano; in 1279, da Carlo D'Angió to Giovanni Matteo. In 1445 the centre was called "Collis Longus cum Rocca di Arce" while the present name appears only in the XVIII century. Other feudal Lords were Girolamo Carducci, Clemente Sansonesi, Francesco Sacrati and the Pignatelli family.
Points of Interest
- Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, outside the fortified borough, the church dates back to the Xl century and was originally under the Benedictine jurisdiction of Montecassino. The original structure was very simple, one aisle and a circular apse; the belltower was built in the XVI century, when also the inner frescoes were made. Unfortunately both the 1915 earthquake and WW2 bombings seriously damaged the original architecture and the frescoes.
- Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, Lazio e Molise
Events & Festivities
- 16 - 17 January: Feast of S. Antonio Abate, with a traditional dish (the "panarda") and dance and burning of the "pupazza"
- First Sunday in May: Feast of Madonna della Lanna
- Second Sunday in August: Sagra della pecora (at Prati d'Angro)
- 1 - 4 September: Feast of Saints Leucio, Rocco and Nicola, with a fair and an Exhibition of folk traditions
- Early September: Marcialonga del Cerbiatto
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Ostello Tre Confini (AIG e IH) - tel./fax +39 0863 949406
- Pensione La gardenia, Via G. Palozzi, tel. 0863 949303
- Ostello Comunale tel +39 0863 949117
- Rifugio Aceretta, Fonte Astuni, Coop. La Poiana tel +39 0863 949261/949357
- Rifugio Jorio
- Camping S. Leucio
- Camping Tricaglio
- Camping "La tasseta"