Villavallelonga, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Villavallelonga lies within the boundaries of the National Park of Abruzzi, amonw green woods and pastures. The economy, originally based on the presence of forests (hunting, fruit-trees) and sheep-raising has now shifted towards winter and summer tourism.
- Altitude: 1007 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 57 km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
- How to reach it: by road, from Avezzano Autoroute A25, exit Avezzano, then about 20 km south-east through Luco dei Marsi, Trasacco and Collelongo.
Follow us on Facebook
A number of archaeological findings show that the area was inhabited in Italic times, but the present center surely rose in the XI century as a fortified borough and was in the earlier Middle Ages first under Count Ruggero d'Albe and later of the Count of Celano; in 1279, da Carlo D'Angió to Giovanni Matteo. In 1445 the centre was called "Collis Longus cum Rocca di Arce" while the present name appears only in the XVIII century. Other feudal Lords were Girolamo Carducci, Clemente Sansonesi, Francesco Sacrati and the Pignatelli family.
What to see
- The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, outside the fortified borough, the church dates back to the Xl century and was originally under the Benedictine jurisdiction of Montecassino. The original structure was very simple, one aisle and a circular apse; the belltower was built in the XVI century, when also the inner frescoes were made. Unfortunately both the 1915 earthquake and WW2 bombings seriously damaged the original architecture and the frescoes.
- The Tratturo Magno, one of the main transhumance routes to the plains in Puglia, passes nearby,
- The Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, Lazio e Molise.
Events and Festivities
- 16 - 17 January: Feast of Sant'Antonio Abate, with a traditional dish (the "panarda") and dance and burning of the "pupazza"
- First Sunday in May: Feast of Madonna della Lanna
- Second Sunday in August: Sagra della pecora (at Prati d'Angro)
- 1 - 4 September: Feast of Saints Leucio, Rocco and Nicola, with a fair and an Exhibition of folk traditions
- Early September: Marcialonga del Cerbiatto.
Where to stay
- Ostelli: Tre Confini (AIG e IH) - tel./fax +39 0863 949406, Ostello Comunale tel +39 0863 949117
- Pensione La Gardenia, Via G. Palozzi, tel. 0863 949303
- Rifugi: Aceretta, Fonte Astuni, Coop. La Poiana tel +39 0863 949261/949357, Rifugio Jorio
- Campsites: Camping S. Leucio, Camping Tricaglio,Camping "La tasseta".
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Villavallelonga
- People researching in Villavallelonga
- Newspaper articles on Villavallelonga.