San Demetrio ne' Vestini, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
Formed of seven different "ville" (hamlets), San Demetrio has interesting churches (the baroque parish church and the XIX century S. Maria dei Raccomandati. At nearby Stiffe the astounding beauty of the Stiffe caves attracts thousands of visitors every year. The lively little town is also renowned for its great tradition of bakery, since for dozens of km around the "pane di san Demetrio" is appreciated.
Altitude: 500 m a.s.l -- Distance from L'Aquila: 20 km -- Population: ca. 1500 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67028 -- Phone Area Code: 0862 -- How to reach it: road: SS17 from L'Aquila or Pescara
In documents of the 10th century there is mention of villae Sancti Demetrij, the most ancient being San Giovanni. San Demetrio was one of the communities that founded the city of L'Aquila in mid 13th century, and when L'Aquila rose against the Spaniards in the 16th century and was defeated, San Demetrio was given to Ferrante from Aquilera, and later, in the 18th century, was ruled by the Arcamone family.
Points of Interest
- Stiffe grottos
- Lake Sinizzo
- The church of S. Maria dei Raccomandati, 19th century, with paintings by Teofilo Patini
- La Chiesa parrocchiale
Events & Festivities
- Pasqua Feast of Madonna Rossa
- Half August Bread festival
- 21 november Fair of "bucalette"
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links
- Surnames presently recorded in San Demetrio ne' Vestini
- People researching in San Demetrio ne' Vestini
- Newspaper articles on San Demetrio ne' Vestini
- Municipio - San Demetrio ne' Vestini 1, v. dante alighieri - 67028 San Demetrio ne' Vestini - Tel +39 0862 810834