Rivisondoli, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Situated on a side of Mount Calvario, Rivisondoli is an important tourist center, especially in winter thanks to the many skiing facilities.
- Altitude: 1230 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: km
- Population: ca. 792 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67036
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by road, Autoroute A 25 from Rome: exit Sulmona - Pratola Peligna, then state road to Castel di Sangro; bus and trains, from Sulmona and Castel di Sangro.
Follow us on Facebook
Rivisondoli rose in the XII century in a strategic position along an important military and commercial route, the "Via degli Abruzzi" and was renowned for its production of weapons. A fire almost completely destroyed the village in 1792. Fortunately the establishment of the Sulmona - Isernia railway helped the development of tourism. In 1913 the Italian Royal Family hed its residence here.
What to see
- The Parish Church San Nicola di Bari, rebuilt at the beginning of this century, with fine stained glass windows by Giovanni Haynal.
Events and Festivities
- 5 January: Living Crib, the most important in the region.
- 17 January: Feast of Sant'Antonio Abate.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- People researching in Rivisondoli
- Newspaper articles on Rivisondoli
- Official website of the Comune di Rivisondoli.