Pescocostanzo, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: about 1400 m a.s.l.
- Distance from L'Aquila: 110 km
- Population: ca. 1300 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67033
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by road, Autoroute A 25 from Rome: exit Sulmona - Pratola Peligna, then state road to Pescocostanzo; bus and trains, from Sulmona and Castel di Sangro.
History: the Origins
History - the Middle Ages
History - Modern Times
The 16th century brought about a wonderful development in arts and crafts, that still today contribute to the great cultural heritage of the place. The "pescolana" is a renowned variation of the "presentosa", the traditional Abruzzese jewel, and the art of tombolo was greatly developed. The inhabitants were also stone carvers and wrought iron workers. On the doors of many ancient houses there are still Latin inscriptions, customized for each family. This great cultural prominence for such a small place can be explained on the fact that Pescocostanzo was a "Universitas", largely independent of feudal oppression, for a very long time of its history, which led to a great pride and welfare for its citizens.
Great names in the history of Pescocostanzo were Davide Coccopalmeri, Archbishop of Malta in the late 15th century; Ottavio Colecchi, a philosopher and mathematician; Benedetto Vulpes, a renowned doctor and scientist.
What to see
- The majestic Bosco di Sant'Antonio.
- The Monastery of Santa Scolastica.
- Santa Maria del Colle, the ancient parish church built in the 11th century, with five naves, wooden ceiling encarved in gold, a chapel closed by a wrought-iron gate, a masterpiece by local artist Sante Di Rocco, and a great wealth of statues and engraved pieces.
- The church of Gesù and Maria, founded in 1611 by Franciscan friars.
- The home of Ottavio Colecchi, a famous citizen of this land.
- The Renaissance palaces, each beautiful in its own way, of the rich families of the past: Grilli, Coccopalmeri, Ricciardelli, Colecchi, D'Amata, Schieda and more.
Events and Festivities
- 17 January: Feast of Sant'Antonio Abate, with traditional bonfires.
- 31 May: Feast of Madonna del Colle.
- August: Feast of San Felice.
Where to stay
- Azienda Autonoma di Soggiorno e Turismo 1, V. Carceri - 67033 Pescocostanzo (AQ) Tel: 0864-641440
- Skiing facilities Scuola Sci Fondo e Noleggio Ricci Marilena - V.Bosco S.Antonio - Tel: 0864-67136 | Seggiovia Valle Fura - Pl.Degli Sciatori - Tel: 0864-641448
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Pescocostanzo
- Surnames recorded in 1750
- Surnames recorded in 1716
- People researching ancestors in Pescocostanzo
- Municipio di Pescocostanzo - P.Umberto I - 67033 Pescocostanzo (AQ) Tel: 0864-641418
- Parrocchia S.Maria Del Colle - 67033 Pescocostanzo (AQ) Tel: 0864-641430.