Pescasseroli, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 1167 m a.s.l.
- Distance from L'Aquila: 99 km
- Population: ca. 2000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67032
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
- How to reach it: by road, Autoroute A 25 from Rome, exit Pescina, then state road SS83 to Pescasseroli.
The history of Pescasseroli is connected to its prevalently pastoral economy and woodwork (also traditionally a by-product of the long hours of idleness of shepherds guarding their flocks). The little town was the starting point of one of the great "tratturi" leading to the South and crossing present-day Molise to Apulia.
What to see
- The ruins of Castel Mancino.
- The Palazzo Sipari, belonging to the mother of philosopher, historian and literary critic Benedetto Croce (1866-1955), who was born here
- The Parish church of San Paolo ad Pesculum Serule, very ancient (12th century) but mostly reconstructed, housing in a chapel the wooden statue of a "Madonna nera dell'Incoronata" coming from the church, now destroyed, of Castel Mancino.
- The baroque Chiesa del Carmelo.
- The "Centro visite del Parco", with a Museo di Storia Naturale and a Garden zoo.
- Itineraries through the 30000 hectares of the Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, where amid savage mountains and deep forest the Marsian brown bear, the Apennine wolf, the Abruzzo chamois, eagles and many endangered species have found a protected sanctuary.
- The fossil glaciers at the "Nevera of Marchiarvaro" with refreshingly clear waters.
- Ascent itineraries to the rocky, forested mountains called Marsicano (2242 mt a.s.l.) la Rocca, Colangelo, Palombo, Tranquilli.
- Activities in winter: Ice skating, downhill skiing (there ia a cableway, many ski-lifts, a skiing school and ski slopes of different difficulties), crosscountry skiing in the plateau called Macchiarvaro.
- Activities in summer: All possible nature sports, trekking, excursions on horseback and more.
Events and Festivities
- 29 June: Feast of SS. Pietro e Paolo
- 15-16 July: Feast of Madonna del Carmine
- Last Sunday in July: Lamb Festival
- 8 - 9 September: Celebrations for the "Madonna nera dell'Incoronata"
- 24 December: Midnight fire before the parish Church.
Where to stay
- Hotels in Pescasseroli
- Azienda Autonoma Di Soggiorno E Turismo V.Piave Pescasseroli 0863 910461-910097.
Genealogy and Links
- Italian version
- Pescasseroli in the News
- Surnames presently recorded in Pescasseroli
- Postings of people researching in Pescasseroli
- Let's all go to Abruzzo, an article by Christopher Brown
- Municipio 1, P. S.Antonio - 67032 Pescasseroli - Tel.: 0863-912385 - Telefax 0863-910035
- Parrocchia Dei Santi Pietro E Paolo , V.Malafede - 67032 Pescasseroli - Tel.: 0863-912565
- Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, official website
- Francesco Sabatini, "La Regione degli Altipiani Maggiori d'Abruzzo. Pescasseroli, Pescocostanzo" - Sulmona 1970.