Massa d'Albe, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
At the foot of Mount Velino, within the territory of recent Velino Sirente Regional Park, lies the commune of Massa d'Albe, near the site of Alba Fucens, an ancient Roman settlement.The climate is healthy, airy and dry. At a short distance lies the Fucino Plain, with the important centres of Avezzano, Magliano, Celano and Pescina.
- Altitude: 865 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: about 50 km
- Population: ca. inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
- Demonym: massetani
- How to reach it: by bus, from Avezzano; by road, A25 (L'Aquila-Avezzano) exit Magliano or Avezzano, then follow the road signs for a few kms in the direction of Massa d'Albe.
Follow us on Facebook
The name "Massa" probably derives from an ancient Lombard word meaning a place where the gentry kept their provisions and livestock. Massa d'Albe rose in the XIV century, when the nearby Roman settlement was being abandoned and pillaged. Originally divided into two parts (Massa Superiore and Massa Inferiore), Massa d'Albe was almost completely destroyed in the disastrous 1915 earthquake, and again in two air bombings on 1944, which caused about 240 deaths among the civil population and the German Army. The present-day centre has been completely reconstructed according to anti-sismic regulations.
What to see
- Alba Fucens
- Three water springs, among which Fonte Corona, renowned for its healing quality
- The church of Madonna di Ripoli
- The church of the Immacolata
- The Santuario della Madonna del Fulmine
- Mount Velino, just above the village.