Luco dei Marsi, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
Located on the edge of the Fucino basin, 10 km from Avezzano and 65 from the province capital, Luco is a medieval town with fine monuments in its historical centre.
Altitude: 680 m a.s.l -- Population: ca. 5000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67056 -- Phone Area Code: 0863
In past centuries Cyclopean walls were found near Luco, which were later largely dismantled and used as material for building houses. There are also reports of a legendary town of the Marsi, dedicated to the goddess Angizia, a charmer of snakes, which might have been located a short distance from the site. The present town developed in the Middle Ages, and derives its name from Lucus Angitiae, which in Latin means "forest of goddess Angizia"; for a long time it was a fiefdom of the Colonna, and was severely damaged by the 1915 earthquake.
Points of Interest
- the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, just outside the village, dating from the 10th century, rebuilt in the 13th century, and again restored after the earthquake of 1915.
- the 18th-century Church of San Giovanni Battista, with an elegant facade.
Events & Festivities
- Fiera di Pentecoste (Whitsuntide Fair), with costume parade
- First Sunday in August: Feast of St. Antonio and St. Rocco, and Madonna delle Grazie
- 30 August Feast of St. Andrea