Lecce nei Marsi, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Nestled in the Fucino basin, the current village was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1915, a little distance from the its original site. In all likelihood it was in the the birthplace of 15th-century painter Andrea Delitio.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 740 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: km
- Population: ca. 1700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863.
In the area ancient settlements of the pre-Roman Marsi civilization were found. The present centre was built in the Middle Ages, when it was a fief of the abbey of Santa Maria della Vittoria in Scurcola Marsicana. During the 15th century it passed to the Colonna and later in the 18th century to the Sforza-Cabrera-Bodavilla.
What to see
- The picturesque ruins of Lecce Vecchio and Serre, abandoned since 1816.
Events and Festivities
- August: Lamb Festival.
- 13 December: Fair of St. Lucia.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Lecce nei Marsi
- People researching in Lecce nei Marsi
- Newspaper articles on Lecce nei Marsi
- Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, Lazio e Molise.