Introdacqua, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
On a hill between the di Contra and Sant'Antonio valleys, not far from the city of Sulmona, Introdacqua is an ancient centre, dominated by the profile of a castle.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 640 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 110 km
- Population: ca. 1700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by road, A25 exit Cocullo then S.S n° 479.
On a nearby archaeological area, Monte Plaia, traces of Italic settlements were found; the present town goes back to medieval times, when it was a fiefdom of the Trasmondi family.
What to see
- The medieval castle, one of the many sighting towers that visually connected Abruzzo to Naples, the capital of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
- The Palazzo Trasmondi, built by the ancient feudal Lords of the place.
- The church of Maria Santissima Annunziata, which also contains interesting works of art.
- The Monte Plaia and Monte Genzana, with rare wildlife specimens.
Events and Festivities
- First half of August: Festival of "porchetta and prosciutto".
- 20 August: Feast of St. Feliciano and St. Antonio.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Introdacqua
- People researching in Introdacqua
- Newspaper articles on Introdacqua.