Goriano Sicoli, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Goriano Sicoli is located on a hill in the Subequana Valley, and has a fine historical centre of the Middle Ages.
- Altitude: 720 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 56 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by road, S.S.n° 261 Subequana, or A25 exit Pratola S.S.n° 5d.
Follow us on Facebook
The village was built on the site of the ancient Roman town Statulae. In the 12th century it belonged to Rainaldo, Count of Celano, while the current name appears for the first time in the 14th century. Later it came under the dominion of the Piccolomini, and finally the Barberini.
What to see
- The Parish Church of Santa Maria Nuova, with beautiful Renaissance features and new additions of the 18th century.
- The church of Santa Gemma, with a splendid baroque interior and portals.
Events and Festivities
- 11, 12 and 13 May: Feast of Santa Gemma
- 13 June: Feast of St. Antony
- First half of August: Festival of the "ciambella gorianese" (Goriano doughnut).
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Goriano Sicoli
- People researching in Goriano Sicoli
- Newspaper articles on Goriano Sicoli.