Fontecchio, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on a hill in the Aterno Valley, in the Sirente - Velino Natural Park, Fontecchio retains many medieval features.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 670 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 27 km
- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- How to reach it: by road, S.S.n° 261 Subequana; by train, Line L'Aquila-Sulmona.
At the sites called Il Castellone and Monte San Pio pre-Roman constructions were found, and inside the town itself there are Roman remains. The nedieval settlement rose in the 11th century from the union of five vici (=hamlets), including Fons Tichiae. In 1648 the town was besieged and destroyed: since then the bell tolls fifty times, in memory of those terrible fifty days. Fontecchio belonged, among other lords, to the Corvi family.
What to see
- The Castle
- The Piazza del Popolo with the artistic, unique 14th-century fountain.
- The church of St. Francis with a fine Romanesque portal.
Events and Festivities
- 3 February: Fair of St. Blaise
- Summer: the "Paese in Arte" Festival, featuring several cultural events.