Collelongo, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on the slopes of Mount Mal Passo, Collelongo was severely damaged by the 1915 earthquake.
- Altitude: 914 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: km 80
- Population: ca. 1600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
Follow us on Facebook
Prehistoric settlements have been found in the area, but the first record of the name of Collelongo was in the 9th century AD. In 1150 it was a feud of Count Ruggero di Albe, later it belonged to the Piccolomini and Pignatelli.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie.
- The church of Santa Maria Nuova, which contains a fine organ of 1745 and some modern paintings.
- The "torre ducale".
- The Palazzo Botticelli, which hosts an Antiquarium and a "Museo della Cultura Materiale".
- The ruins of ancient polygonal walls, in the nearby hamlet of San Castro.
Events and Festivities
- 16 - 17 January: Feast of Sant'Antonio Abate, with traditional rites
- First Sunday of August: Lamb Festival
- 15, 16, 17 August: Patron feasts of the Assumption and St. Rocco
- Christmas: Living Crib at the Maiure Meadows.