Collelongo, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on the slopes of Mount Mal Passo, Collelongo was severely damaged by the 1915 earthquake.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 914 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: km 80
- Population: ca. 1600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
Prehistoric settlements have been found in the area, but the first record of the name of Collelongo was in the 9th century AD. In 1150 it was a feud of Count Ruggero di Albe, later it belonged to the Piccolomini and Pignatelli.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie.
- The church of Santa Maria Nuova, which contains a fine organ of 1745 and some modern paintings.
- The "torre ducale".
- The Palazzo Botticelli, which hosts an Antiquarium and a "Museo della Cultura Materiale".
- The ruins of ancient polygonal walls, in the nearby hamlet of San Castro.
Events and Festivities
- 16 - 17 January: Feast of Sant'Antonio Abate, with traditional rites
- First Sunday of August: Lamb Festival
- 15, 16, 17 August: Patron feasts of the Assumption and St. Rocco
- Christmas: Living Crib at the Maiure Meadows.