Collelongo, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
Located on the slopes of Mount Mal Passo, Collelongo was severely damaged by the 1915 earthquake.
Altitude: 914 m a.s.l -- Distance from L'Aquila: km 80 -- Population: ca. 1600 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67050 -- Phone Area Code: 0863
Prehistoric settlements have been found in the area, but the first record of the name of Collelongo was in the 9th century AD. In 1150 it was a feud of Count Ruggero di Albe, later it belonged to the Piccolomini and Pignatelli.
Points of Interest
- The church of S. Maria delle Grazie
- The church of S. Maria Nuova, which contains a fine organ of 1745 and some modern paintings
- The "torre ducale"
- Palazzo Botticelli, which hosts an Antiquarium and a "Museo della Cultura Materiale"
- the ruins of ancient polygonal walls, in the nearby hamlet of San Castro.
Events & Festivities
- 16 - 17 January Feast of S. Antonio Abate, with traditional rites
- First Sunday of August: Lamb Festival
- 15, 16, 17 August: Patron feasts of the Assumption and St. Rocco
- Christmas: Living Crib at the Maiure Meadows