Collarmele, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Collarmele dominates the Fucino basin, and was largely rebuilt after the earthquake of 1915.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 883 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
On the site there was Cerfennia, an ancient settlement of the Marsi also mentioned by Livy. The medieval town rose, according the tradition, from the aggregation of many "vici" (=hamlets), and had an important oversight role in the area on the route of the Via Tiburtina Valeria. It became an independent municipality in 1816.
What to see
- The medieval round tower, miraculously escaped the disastrous effects of the 1915 earthquake.
- Near the village, the 16th-century Church of Madonna delle Grazie.
Events and Festivities
- 9 - 10 July: Feast of St. Felicita and the seven martyr children
- 23 - 24 September: Feast of Madonna della Mercede.