Civitella Roveto, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
The small town is located in the Valle Roveto along the river Liri, and is formed of an ancient settlement and a newer modern area beyond the river. Today the town center looks like a village of the late Middle Ages.
- Altitude: 526 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 70 km
- Population: ca. 3200 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67054
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
Follow us on Facebook
Although the first records of the palce date to the 11th century, the area was definitely inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the discovery of "Le Fosse" village; important during the Middle Ages for its strategic position, in the 15th century it belonged to the Orsini and then to the Colonna. Also Civitella was damaged by the 1915 earthquake.
What to see
- The church of San Giovanni Battista.
- In the vicinity, the ruins of the fortified enclosure of the Meta castle, which dominated the whole Liri valley.
Events and Festivities
- 17 January: Fair of St. Antonio Abate
- 22, 23 e 24 June: Feast di St. Antony of Padua, Madonna del Buon Consiglio and St. Giovanni Battista
- 16 August: Feast of San Rocco
- August: Festival of the "quagliategli"