Civitella Alfedena, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Civitella Alfedena lies in the Upper Sangro Valley at the foot of the Monti della Meta, on a geltle hill overlooking Lake Barrea, right in the heart of the Abruzzo National Park.
- Altitude: 1120 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 110 km
- Population: ca. 300 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: along the Sulmona/Castel di Sangro line, nearest stop Alfedena, a very slow but panoramic route
either A24 exit Pescina, then S.S. 83 towards Gioia dei marsi, then a winding road through Pescasseroli and Opi, or (panoramic route) exit Cocullo then S.S. 479 through Anversa degli Abruzzi and picturesque Sagittario canyon, Scanno, up to Passo Goti, then western side of Monte Greco.
Follow us on Facebook
In the area important neolithic remains (VII-III century B.C.) have been found. On the area a Marsian town known as Fresilia rose in antiquity, and not far away also Aufidena, a powerful Samnite citadel. The medieval village is first recorded in documents of the XI century.
What to see
- Parish church of San Nicola
- The Medieval tower.
- Themunicipality comprises two important natural reserves, Colle Licco and Feudo Intramonti, very special environmental niches within the Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo
- An important establishment is also the Museum of the Apennine Wolf.
Events and Festivities
- Second Sunday in July: Feast of Santa Lucia.
Where to stay
- Camping Wolf.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Civitella Alfedena
- People researching in Civitella Alfedena
- Newspaper articles on Civitella Alfedena
- Sangro Valley Project (SVP).