Civita d'Antino, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Situated on a ridge along the Valle Roveto, Civita d'Antino retains many elements of its past as ancient centre of the Marsi, and then Roman town as, the polygonal walls in and the remains of old buildings.
- Altitude: 900 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863.
Follow us on Facebook
Thriving city of the Marsi and then a Roman municipium, ancient Antinum belonged to the Orsini in the 15th century, then to the Piccolomini and to the Colonna. In the early 1900's several Danish artists stayed there, attracted by the beauty of the area. The disastrous earthquake of 1915 left its mark in this place too.
What to see
- Casa Cerroni, with two rooms decorated by various Danish artists who stayed here.
- The sanctuary of St. Mary "della Ritornata", with frescoes of the 13th century in the apse.
Events and Festivities
- April: Lamb Festival
- Last Sunday in August: Feast of Patron St. Stefano.