Cerchio, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on the slopes of Mount Corbarolo, in the heart of Marsica, has a typically medieval layout.
- Altitude: 831 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 80 km
- Population: ca. 1700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67044
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863.
Follow us on Facebook
Testimonies of a pre-Roman settlement were found in the area, as well as some remains of walls of the first century AD at Vitellino and Mandra di Bagno. The centre appears in documents as early as the 10th century, and in a papal bull of the 14th century the church of St. Bartholomew de Circulo is mentioned. It was a fief of the Colonna and Piccolomini, who sold it in 1591 to Camilla Peretti, together with the County of Celano and the Barony of Pescina. Cerchio was devastated by the earthquake of 1915.
What to see
- The Museo Civico, in the former Augustinian convent, with sections on sacred art, ethnography, and peasant crafts.
- The Renaissance church of San Bartolomeo.
- The parish church, which preserves a silver cross of the Sulmona school dated 1484.
Events and Festivities
- Mid-January: Feast of St. Antonio, with fair of pomegranates and porchetta
- Mid-May: Feast of St. Isidoro
- 29 June: Feast of Saints Giovanni and Paolo Martyrs
- First Sunday in September: Feast of Madonna delle Grazie
- First half of September: Fair "in nome di Maria" held since 1633.