Castelvecchio Calvisio, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on the southern slopes of the Gran Sasso, the old part of town is still surrounded by ancient walls.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1045 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 45 km
- Population: ca. 250 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- How to reach it: SS 17 L'Aquila-Pescara up to Castelnuovo, then an inner mountain road.
Of medieval origin, Castelvecchio was part of the Barony of Carapelle; owned by Lionello Acclozamora, was then a fief of the Piccolomini, Ottavio Cattaneo and finally the Medici of Florence.
What to see
- The church of San Cipriano, built on the site where once stood the castle of San Lorenzo (eighth century).
Events and Festivities
- August: Festival of "Cicerchia" (=similar to chickpeas)