Castelvecchio Calvisio, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on the southern slopes of the Gran Sasso, the old part of town is still surrounded by ancient walls.
- Altitude: 1045 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 45 km
- Population: ca. 250 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- How to reach it: SS 17 L'Aquila-Pescara up to Castelnuovo, then an inner mountain road.
Follow us on Facebook
Of medieval origin, Castelvecchio was part of the Barony of Carapelle; owned by Lionello Acclozamora, was then a fief of the Piccolomini, Ottavio Cattaneo and finally the Medici of Florence.
What to see
- The church of San Cipriano, built on the site where once stood the castle of San Lorenzo (eighth century).
Events and Festivities
- August: Festival of "Cicerchia" (=similar to chickpeas)