Castellafiume, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Castellafiume is located at the foot of a mountain along the river Liri.
- Altitude: 840 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863.
Follow us on Facebook
Dating back to the 11th century, the small town played an important, strategic role; it was a fief of the Orsini and Colonna. During the 19th century it was included in the comune of Cappadocia; the earthquake of 1915 dealt a severe blow to the village.
What to see
- The church of St. Nicola with baroque furnishings and decorations
- In nearby Pagliara, the Church of SS. Salvatore, with a beautiful Renaissance portal.
Events and Festivities
- Late May: Feast of St. Nicholas of Bari and of Our Lady of the Rosary
- August: Feast of Our Lady of the Snow and the Lady of the Orient (at Pagliara)
- First week of August: Festival of "arrosticini"
- End of August: Feast of pasta and beans
- Third Sunday of August: Feast of St. Anthony of Padua and St. John Baptist.
Where to stay
- Albergo Alto Liri.