Castel di Ieri, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on a small hill dominated by a massive, 15th-century square sighting tower, has typical medieval houses, and an interesting church of the Assumption (1500) with a beautiful Renaissance portal.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 519 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 45 km
- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by train, station at Molina Aterno; by road, Subequana n°261.
Not far away were found relics of pre-Roman times. Called "Catrum Hilare", "Perio Castle" and also "Iesio Castle", was a fief of the Barberini family; until the middle of the twentieth century it was part of the commune of Goriano Sicoli.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta.
Events and Festivities
- 7 August: Feast of St. Donato
- 21 June: Fair
- 2 - 3 September: Market Fair.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Castel di Ieri
- People researching in Castel di Ieri
- Newspaper articles on Castel di Ieri
- Emiliano Splendore, "Profilo Archeologico e Storico dei Comuni della valle Subequana", Gruppo Archeologico Subequano.