Castel del Monte, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Situated in the heart of the Gran Sasso mountain group, in a highly panoramic position, the small town still preserve its look of ancient fortified borough of the Middle Ages, when it was an important station along the seasonal migrations of shepherds. The wealth engendered through the sheep trade allowed local gentry to build fine palaces and embellish churches.
- Altitude: 1346 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 48 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67023
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- How to reach it: by road, SS 17 from L'Aquila towards Pescara, then at Barisciano road towards the Gran Sasso.
Follow us on Facebook
The borough rose in the Middle Ages on the site of a previous pre-roman establishment; the name appears for the first tiime in the 13th century, and later it belonged to a number of different aristocratic families as the Acquaviva, Piccolomini and the Medici of Florence.
What to see
- The church of San Rocco
- The church of San Marco
- The church of Madonna del Suffragio
- The castle tower, later transformed into a belltower, which tipically outlines the town's skyline.
Events and Festivities
- 5 August: Rassegna ovina on the Campo Imperatore plateau
- 8 September: Processione notturna della Madonna dei Pastori
- 6 - 7 August: Feast of San Donato (patron saint of the place).
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Castel del Monte
- People researching in Castel del Monte
- Newspaper articles on Castel del Monte.