Carsoli, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
On the slopes of Mount St. Angelo and near the border with Lazio, the small town is dominated by the remains of the old 13th-century castle and embellished by splendid palaces of the 15th century.
Altitude: 615 m a.s.l -- Distance from L'Aquila: 70 km -- Population: ca. 5000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67061 -- Phone Area Code: 0863 -- How to reach it: road:A24 exit Carsoli
The medieval borough rose in the Middle Ages near the ancient site of Carseolis (a city of the Equi which was later conquered by the Romans). It was a fief of the Orsini and later the Colonna. The Second World War caused extreme damages to the area.
Points of Interest
- the beautiful church of St. Vittoria (16th century), which contains interesting paintings
- the Church of St. Maria Cellis (12th secolo)
- the Natural Reserve of Grotte di Pietrasecca
- the nearby village of Poggio Cinolfo, an ancient fortified town.
Events & Festivities
- Last Sunday in July: Accordion Championship, with food stands.