Carapelle Calvisio, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
In 1999 the least inhabited municipality in Abruzzo, situated in the Southern Gran Sasso chain just below Monte Prena, the village is surrounded by mountains and woods and is greatly renowned for its truffles. Its territory was featured not long ago, along with Rocca Calascio, in a medieval fantastic movie, "Ladyhawke", starring a young Michelle Pfeiffer and Rutger Hauer.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 910 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila:35 km
- Population: ca.120 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- How to reach it: bus and trains, from L'Aquila; by road, SS 17 L'Aquila-Pescara up to Castelnuovo, then an inner mountainous road.
The place was a Roman hamlet, and in the Middle Ages is recorded in a document of 779 for a dispute between the homines de Carapellas and monastery of S. Vincenzo al Volturno; in the 13th century we found mention of a demanium Carapelle and later of a Barony, which included also Castelvecchio Calvisio, Santo Stefano di Sessanio and Calascio, a little later Rocca Calascio, and from the 15th century also 1400 Castel del Monte, whose most famous lords were Lionello Acclozamora, the Piccolominis, Ottavio Cattaneo and the Medicis of Florence. The barony was then dismembered in the 18th century and gave origin to different municipalities, whereas Carapelle became a hamlet of Castelvecchio Calvisio. Carapelle became an independent municipality in 1911. In the 1910 census Carapelle counted 1200 inhabitants, then a first wave of emigration started towards the United States, at the time of WW1. A second large emigration followed in the 1950's with main destinations canada, France and Australia. Nowadays in Toronto there is a Carapellese community 5 times the present population of the village.
What to see
- The historical centre
- The church of St. Francis of Assisi, decorated in the baroque style, with interesting frescoes
- The Shrine of St. Pancrazio.
Events and Festivities
- 12 maggio: Feast of St. Pancrazio
- 15 August: Feast of Emigrants.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Carapelle Calvisio
- People researching in Carapelle Calvisio
- Newspaper articles on Carapelle Calvisio.