Caporciano, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
Approximately 34 km southwest of Aquila, on the plateau of Navelli, is the village of Caporciano. A few kilometres away is the small burg of Bominaco, a frazione of Caporciano, with its two important churches and old castle. They date back to the Benedictine era, the monastery existed around the X century when the town's name was Momenaco. The castle was built by Benedictine monks as a way to defend their property from the Saracens who would periodically raid this area from their strongholds further south.
(A special thanks to Chris Bowman for the English text).
Altitude: 974 m a.s.l -- Distance from L'Aquila: 35 km -- Population: ca. 300 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67020 -- Phone Area Code: 0862
Although the area is of medieval origin, there are numerous archaeological reminders of Roman and other Italic peoples' presence in the area. (Note, the four major Italic tribes that inhabited the area were the Peligni, the Marsi, the Vestini and the Equi.) In fact the town's name is thought to come from 'Capo Giano" (literally "head of Janus". That is, the ancient Roman deity who could simultaneously see the past and the future) or from "Casa Porciana" (literally "house of pigs". No, it's not because of the terrible housekeeping ability of the local inhabitants. It in fact refers to the continued large number of wild boars that roam the woods in the area).
Points of Interest
- The Church of Saint Peter in the Valley, which dates back to XII the century and contains frescoes from the 15th century; the church itself was enlarged towards the end of the 14th century.
- The Romanesque Church of Saint Benedict Abbot (Saint Benedict was the founder of the Benedictine order). This church was built over the remains of an old castle, and as a matter of fact, the bell tower next to the church was once one of the castle towers.
- The Oratory of St. Peregrineo (Bominaco)
- The Church of The Assumption (Bominaco)
Events & Festivities
- June Patronal Festivity of S. Benedict and S. Peter
- 15 August Festivity of The Assumption of Mary
- 18 September Festivity of S. Pellegrino
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Agritourist centers
- Restaurants: 4A Via San Pietro, 67015 CAPORCIANO (AQ)