Caporciano, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 974 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 35 km
- Population: ca. 300 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862.
Caporciano and Bominaco date back to the Benedictine era, the monastery existed around the X century when the town's name was Momenaco. The castle was built by Benedictine monks as a way to defend their property from the Saracens who would periodically raid this area from their strongholds further south.
What to see
- The church of Saint Peter in the Valley, which dates back to the XII century and contains frescoes from the 15th century; the church itself was enlarged towards the end of the 14th century.
- The Romanesque Church of Saint Benedict Abbot (Saint Benedict was the founder of the Benedictine order). This church was built over the remains of an old castle, and as a matter of fact, the bell tower next to the church was once one of the castle towers.
- The Oratory of San Pellegrino (Bominaco)
- The church of The Assumption (Bominaco).
Events and Festivities
- June: Patronal Festivity of S. Benedict and S. Peter
- 15 August: Festivity of The Assumption of Mary
- 18 September: Festivity of San Pellegrino.