Capistrello, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated in a domineering position overlooking the Liri Valley, in the past it linked the Fucino Plain with Sora and Naples.
Altitude: 764 m a.s.l -- Distance from L'Aquila: 65 km -- Population: ca. 5600 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67053 -- Phone Area Code: 0863
The name appears for the first time in the 12th century as Caput Pristinorum. It was a Feud of Oddo de Toucy and Giacomo Orsini, then in the 16th century it belonged to the Colonna family. Under Joachim Murat in the early 1800's it became an autonomous municipality. The 1915 earthquake caused great damage.
Points of Interest
- The "Cunicoli di Claudio", tunnels excavated under Roman Emperor Claudius, when the draining of Lake Fucino was first attempted.
- The remains of the castle at Ricetto
- The little church of S. Barbara
Events & Festivities
- 11-12 June: Feast of St. Anthony of Padua
- 19 - 23 July Arzibanda, an ethnic-folk festival
- first Sunday in August Feast of Strawberry and Mountain Festival
- 14 August Festival of the "marrocca" (=corn cob) at Corcumello
- During the summer a major exhibition of handicraft is also held.