Cansano, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located along the road from Sulmona to Campo di Giove, Cansano retains its medieval appearance, also with the ruins of the castle, which was once one of the most important of the entire valley; the historical center is now almost completely deserted.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 835 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 85 km
- Population: ca. 400 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by bus or train, from L'Aquila, Sulmona; by road, A25, exit Sulmona.
The historic center of Cansano was once fortified. It was a stronghold of Cantelmo, and later of the Acquaviva family.
What to see
- The "Monumento ai Caduti" (War Victims Memorial) in the main square
- The historical center.
Events and Festivities
- 5 August: feast of Madonna della Neve (=Our Lady of the Snows)
- 13 - 14 August: Patron feast of San Rocco and San Donato; feast of Madonna della Neve (=Our Lady of the Snows)
- First week of August: Festival of lamb and cheese.
Where to stay
- Hotel "Il Nido d'Aquila"