Canistro, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
The picturesque village still bears the basic structure of the medieval borough of the 11th and 12th centuries, when the community was dedicated to agriculture and sheep breeding.
- Altitude: 554 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 70 km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
- How to reach it: by bus or train, from Avezzano; by road, A24 or A25, exit Avezzano, then Superstrada Valle del Liri.
Follow us on Facebook
Archaeological findings in the area suggest the existence of an ancient settlement in Roman times. Mentioned as Castrum in the 12th century, is was almost depopulated by the plague of 1656. In 1854 became it was given a separate jurisdiction from Civitella Roveto. In 1915 the Avezzano earthquake caused great damage.
What to see
- The church of S. Bastiano
- The church of San Giovanni Battista
- The Vecchiarelli Palace.
Events and Festivities
- 6 January: Representation of the Nativity in the streets of the borough
- 15 August: Feast of St. John the Baptist
- Last Sunday in October: Chestnut Festival.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Canistro
- People researching in Canistro
- Newspaper articles on Canistro.