Campo di Giove, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Located on the southern slopes of the Majella, the village attracts winter its tourism, due to the presence of ski lifts. The historical centre still has a medieval atmosphere.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1064 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 83 km
- Population: ca. 1000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by road, Autoroute A 25 from Rome, exit Sulmona-Pratola Peligna; bus and trains, from Sulmona and Castel di Sangro.
Of ancient origin, the village was already mentioned in the 11th century, when it was an important connection transit between the Sabina and the Sannio. During the 14th century was a stronghold of the Cantelmo, then passed to the Caldora, Belprato, the Pignatelli and finally to the Recupito family.
What to see
- Nanni Palace
- The church of San Paolo, which houses a beautiful statue of the Virgin
- The church of Sant'Eustachio.
Events and Festivities
- August: Pappone Festival, based on polenta with potatoes, bread and bacon.
Where to stay
- Agritourism Rifugio C.R.E.A