Cagnano, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Situated on a high plateau in the upper Velino valley, this mountain centre is renowned for its healthy climate and beautiful pastures; there is not a true centre, but a number of small hamlets, which form a "comune sparso".
- Altitude: 841 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 26 km
- Population: ca. 1700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67012
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- Frazioni and localities: Corruccioni, Fossatillo, Fiugni, Sala, San Giovanni, Termine (so called because the road ends there).
- How to reach it: by road, A25 L'Aquila-Roma, exit L'Aquila Ovest, then S.S.80 from L'Aquila towards Montereale; by bus, from L'Aquila.
Follow us on Facebook
The first mention of Cagnano dates back to the XII century, then the village also took part to the foundation of L'Aquila. In 1703 it was nearly completely destroyed by an earthquake.
What to see
- Palazzetto Ludovisi (at Termine)
- The church of Madonna delle Grazie, with a fine XVI-century cross
- The church of St. Cosimo, with a late-Renaissance portal.
- The Sorgente dei Frati (road to Sala).
Events and Festivities
- 13 June: Feast of St. Antonio
- 24 June: Feast of St. Giovanni
- 28 June: Feast of St. Pietro
- 2 July: Feast of St. Pelino (at Collicello)
- 25 July: Feast of St. Giacomo
- First week in August: Boar festival
- 16 August: Feast of St. Rocco
- 6-7-8 September: Boletus festival.