Bisegna, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Situated on a mountain crest just below the Spina di Cerreto and Montagna Grande, Bisegna dominates the Valle del Giovenco.
- Altitude: 1210 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 85 km
- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0863
- How to reach it: by road, A24 Avezzano-Pescara; bus and trains, from Sulmona.
Follow us on Facebook
On the site there was Visinium, a Roman castrum destroyed by Valerius Maximus; in the XII century Bisegna was a citadel which dominated the whole valley. It was successively under the Acclozamoras, Piccolominis, Savelli and finally the Sforza-Cabrera-Bovadilla. The 1915 earthquake destroyed a large part of the village.
What to see
- The church of St. Maria Assunta, which preserves precious XV-century silverware from Sulmona.
- The National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise.
Events and Festivities
- 19-20 January: Feast of St.Sebastiano, with a bread procession
- 24-25 June Feast of St. Giovanni Battista and St. Antonio
- 15-16 August: Feast of the Assuption and St. Rocco
- 18-20 August: Feast of St. Antonio, St. Bernardo and St. Sebastiano and fair of traditional product.
Where to stay
- Aquila Reale Hotel.