Barrea, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
Overlooking wonderful Lake Barrea from a hilltop in the upper Valle del Sangro, the village can show old churches, the walls of an ancient castle and the remains of a pre-Roman necropolis. It is a favourite choice for tourists who like mountain and lake resorts and love a natural park's atmosphere.
- Altitude: 1060 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 100 km
- Population: ca. 900 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0864
- How to reach it: by road, A25, exit Cocullo; bus and trains, from Avezzano, Sulmona.
Follow us on Facebook
With the name of Barregias, the village rose together with St. Angelo, a nearby Benedictine monastery, in the VIII century. The area came under the rule of the powerful Sangros, who built a storm-proof fortress which still keeps their name.
What to see
- Lake Barrea
- The church of St. Maria della Baia
- The church of St. Tommaso
- The Natural Reserve Lago di Pantaniello.
Events and Festivities
- 26 June: Feast of St. Tommaso Apostolo
- August: Feast of St. Maria delle Grazie (emigrants come back on the occasion)
- Christmas Night: traditional bonfire.
Where to stay
- Hotel Holidays, Hotel Lago Verde.