Barete, Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo
A short distance from the regional capital, Barete comprises a number of small villages situated along the road from Pizzoli to Montereale: Colli, Teora, San Sabino and Basanello. In summer many traditional festivals and religious feasts take place, among which the very popular "Estate Baretana".
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 800 m a.s.l
- Distance from L'Aquila: 20 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 67010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0862
- How to reach it: A24 Roma-L'Aquila, Exit L'Aquila Ovest
S.S.80, then road to Montereale; by bus, from L'Aquila.
Well known since Roman times for its waters, it was a popular bath centre for the citizens of nearby Amiternum. In the course of history its name changed repeatedly: Lavaretum, Lavareta, Castrum Labareti and Capite Amiterni.
What to see
- The church of St. Paolo
- The church of St. Vito
- The Valle del Chiarino.
Events and Festivities
- 15 June: Feast of St. Vito
- 30 June: Feast of St.Paolo
- 20 August: Feast of St.Emidio
- "Estate baretana", with folk dances, games, sports competitions.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Barete
- Surnames recorded in Barete in about 1750
- People researching in Barete.